Steintor-Campus
For many people it is the showpiece of the campus: the Library at Emil Abderhalden Strasse 25. Literature from 17 humanities and social science locations has been collected here. The branch of the university library has room for up to one million books. The cube was built on a slope which meant the architects had to compensate for a difference in height of nine metres. Inside, the yellow brick building with the sloping glass roof provides 176 reading and working stations, three computer lab, energy-saving LED lights and a natural ventilation system. It also boasts self-checkout terminals and a book box so that books can be returned outside of opening hours. The library can be used for work and study seven days a week, from Monday to Saturday it is even open from 8 am to midnight.
The Julius Kühn Domesticated Animal Museum at Adam Kuckhoff Strasse 35a opened in 1988. It houses one of the most extensive collections of domesticated animal skeletons in the world. Originally the building belonged to a series of stables that were home to up to 1,000 animals. Many are now specimens used for teaching and research purposes.
Adam Kuckhoff Strasse 34 b is the campus’s culinary centre. Studentenwerk Halle’s wood-clad café bar offers light, healthy snacks as well as coffee and cake. It has seating inside for 88 people with additional seating outside when the weather is good.
The building located at Ludwig Wucherer Strasse 2 is the cradle of agricultural studies in Germany. In 1862 Julius Kühn bought the property from the family of the entrepreneur Ludwig Wucherer in order to establish his residence and classrooms here. Gradually a total of five neighbouring villas were connected to form an institutional building. Its building history can be seen inside the building, for example, in the very different stairway designs. After 1947 the building was the main office of the newly established Faculty of Agriculture. Today Germanists, Romance scholars and employees of the Institute for Oriental Studies work here. Five seminar rooms, an historic lecture hall and the examination offices of two faculties are located in this building. Part of the building will be under restoration until winter semester 2016/17.
215 university staff members work in the new building at Emil Abderhalden Strasse 26/27. Special video conferencing equipment was installed for the Japanologists along with a recording booth for the speech scientists. The archaeologists have two labs here. Sociologists, philosophers, psychologists, historians and art historians also work in the building.
The building at Adam Kuckhoff Strasse 34a was built in 1902/1903. It once belonged to the animal clinic. The renovated building now offers a large common room for students and a child-friendly room for nursing, playing and relaxation. The room is equipped with a nappy changing table, toys, child-size chairs and a place to warm up milk or baby food.
<div>The former animal hospital at Emil Abderhalden Strasse 28 is now the offices for the Departments of Oriental Archaeology and Art History. One particular eye-catcher is the historic semi-circular lecture hall located on the ground floor. The building is linked to the new neighbouring building at Emil Abderhalden Strasse 27 by an accessible bridge.</div>
The building at Adam Kuckhoff Strasse 34 also used to belong to the animal clinic. Only the old track on the ceiling hints at the fact that large animals were once operated in here, pulled through the room by veterinarians. The building was constructed in 1902/1903 and now houses archaeology finds. Some of the scientists also have their offices here.
Adam Kuckhoff Straße 35 used to be home to the Institute for Animal Breeding and Dairying. Now there are three seminar rooms and offices for the Anglicists, the scholars of American studies, and the Slavists. Many of the original features from 1913 were faithfully restored, for example the lilac, green and wine red wall colours. In the restored lecture hall, students sit on chairs which their predecessors once sat on 100 years ago. Even the lectern is the same. The presentation hall on the ground floor is unique: here live animals were once exhibited for teaching purposes. Thanks to its excellent acoustics, the large room now makes an ideal place for performances of the speech scientists.

This site uses cookies to deliver our services. By using our site, you acknowledge that you have read and understand our Terms of Service and Cookie Policy. Your use of ThingLink's Products and Services, is subject to these policies and terms.