ThingLink Education Tutorial#
Table of Contents
- ThingLink Education Tutorial
- Creating Student Accounts
- Check That You Have a Teacher Account
- The Students Menu
- Registering Students With an Invitation Code
- Registering Students Without an Email Address
- Adding Students Who Already Have an Account
- Students Logging In To ThingLink
- Managing Student Accounts
- Viewing Student Account Details
- Changing Student Passwords
- Suspending Student Accounts
- Deleting a Student Account
- Classroom Channels
- Create a Classroom Channel
- Adding Images to the Channel
- Reviewing Images in Your Channel
Creating Student Accounts#
Check That You Have a Teacher Account#
- The'TEACHER' stamp is located under the ThingLink Logo at the top left of the screen.
- Remember, only Teachers can set up student accounts, so it is important that your account is an education account.
- Click on the upper right hand menu that looks like three lines
- In the menu select the gear shaped Settings icon
- In the settings, choose the My Account tab, then click the blue "I'm a Teacher" button
For visual step by step instructions check out this video
The Students Menu#
Here you'll find two tabs, the Students tab and the Groups tab.
The Students tab contains a list of all your students. In the Groups tab you'll find all your Classroom Groups.
Registering Students With an Invitation Code#
Select the group you'd like to add students to. In the middle of the page you'll see a 6 digit alpha-numeric invite code.
To sign up with the code, students should navigate to www.thinglink.com/edu where they will see this screen:
On the next screen they can register with their name, school email, and that invitation code. Make sure they enter the invitation code before they click "Sign Up."
Now they will automatically be a part of your group and be listed in your Students tab!
Registering Students Without an Email Address#
First navigate to the group you wish to add students to by clicking on the main STUDENTS tab, then the GROUPS sub-tab, and lastly on the specific group.
Once in the group, click REGISTER STUDENTS
- Write or copy/paste your student list in the text field
- Only enter one name per line
- No duplicate names are allowed (if you have 2 "Bobs" in your classroom, use Bob1 and Bob2 or Bob Martin and Bob Taylor
- Once done, click REGISTER STUDENTS
- Our system will generate a list of logins and passwords for your students to use.
- Distribute the logins/passwords to your students.
- Ask your students to save those credentials as they will need them to login again during your next class.
Adding Students Who Already Have an Account#
To find your invite code, refer back to the instruction in Registering Students With an Invitation Code section.
To invite students via email address navigate to the main STUDENTS tab at the top of the page.
Select the Groups tab and then click on the group you wish to invite students to.
On the right you'll see a text field where you can input email addresses. Input the email addresses associated with the accounts you wish to invite and click invite one at a time.
Keep in mind that some school email systems do not allow students to receive emails from outside senders. If this is the case with your school, do not use this method. Students will not receive the necessary emails. Instead use the invite code method.
Students Logging In To ThingLink
- Your students can now go to thinglink.com and login
- Make sure your students log in with the login credentials our system generated for them
- Students will not need to sign up for an account on their own
Managing Student Accounts
Viewing Student Account Details
To view details of student accounts, navigate to the STUDENTS menu at the top of the screen.
In the Students page you should see a full list of all your students. Click on a name to find the account details.
- Login ID: The email address this student uses to login
- Account Status: Whether this account is suspended or active
- Registered: The date this student registered for ThingLink
- Last Activity: The last time this student was active on ThingLink
- Groups: The groups this student is a member of
Changing Student Passwords #
After logging in, navigate to the STUDENTS menu at the top of the page.
Here you’ll see a list of all your students. To change a student’s password, click on the key icon to the right of their name.
Enter the new password here.
Students can also change passwords themselves. Have students click on the menu in the upper right hand corner and select the settings icon that looks like a gear.
Click on the My Account tab in the settings menu. From here your student can change their password.
Suspending Student Accounts #
First navigate to the main students tab.
Deleting a Student Account#
First navigate to the main students tab.
Here you’ll find two subtabs, Students and Groups. In the STUDENTS subtab you’ll see a list of all of your students. Click on the name of the student you wish to delete. Once you’re on the account details of the student you’ve selected, you will see a trashcan icon at the right of the page. Click the trash icon to delete your student’s account.
- Class channels are great for reviewing student work! Have students submit their finished product to the class channel
- Create a slideshow for class by compiling several images in a channel
- Start a channel with a single image for students to remix
- We have created one class channel for you to start with called "Your name's student group"
Create a Classroom Channel
Adding Images to the Channel#
After saving the image, a button that reads "POST" should appear on top of the image. Click on that button and select the appropriate channel.
Reviewing Images in Your Channel#
- Click on the "ME" tab at the top of the screen
- Select the Channels icon
- Choose the channel you wish to review
- To view the images as a slideshow, click on the black 'View As Slideshow' button to the right
- Students can also see the classroom channel by going to "ME" and "CHANNELS"